Cyclic hydrocarbons form ring structures when the two ends of a hydrocarbon chain join together. In order to do this, a hydrogen atom from each end carbon must be removed. A common example is that of a six-carbon hexane forming the six-carbon cyclohexane, which has the formula C6H12. Notice that there are two less hydrogen than in hexane. The structural diagram of cyclic hydrocarbons is usually represented by a line diagram. The three images below are all cyclohexanes.
- Add prefix “cyclo” to the name
- Any carbon can be carbon number 1 ; branch is always given lowest possible position number. If there is only 1 branch, no position # is required as the branch is automatically on the first carbon atom.
- You can count in either direction around a ring, as long as the lowest position numbers are represented.
- A double bond is represented by an extra vertical line inside the ring structure.
Click on the link below and do the following before next class :
1.Read the information found in the ck-12 page
2. Write down the steps to name/write branched alkanes
*Next class we will go over the steps, watch the video, answer the questions and complete a practice.
The following video goes over in detail the names, structures, and formulas for both Alkanes and Alkyls. It will very usefull for your upcoming quiz.
After watching the video found in this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTKKSyooqyM
answer the questions found below.
- What is organic chemistry?
- What element is the base of organic chemistry. Explain why.
- What types of bonds are formed in organic chemistry?
- Which elemnts normally bond with carbon in organic compouds?
- How are bonds among only carbon atoms different to bonds formed by carbon and other atoms?
The following links/videos are helpful reviews for naming and writting the formulas for ionic compounds with transition metals.
Will help you very much in next quiz.
For this year’s fair every group needs to make a model ( maqueta ) that illustrates their project.
The model ( maqueta ) needs to have the following dimensions: 34 inches in length and 25 inches width.